IPhone iOS 13 Features: What Is Optimized Battery Charge?


Apple tries to extend the battery life of your iPhone so that you can use your phone for longer without needing to have it fixed. Optimized Battery Charging changes the way your iPhone charges overnight to extend battery life. After updating to iOS 13, you might have wondered “why is my iPhone only charging 80%?” ” Here’s why…

All iPhone models use lithium-ion batteries, like most mobile devices. Lithium-ion batteries age over time and degrade. They degrade due to the number of charge cycles and the way they are charged, such as how often they stay at 100% charge.

As the battery degrades, its maximum capacity decreases. Aging battery can lead to slow performance and you will also notice that your iPhone may not last as long on a single charge because the total effective capacity of the battery is lower.

What is Optimized Battery Charge?

In iOS 13, Apple introduced a new feature called “Optimized Battery Charging”. This is enabled by default. IPhone learns your daily routine and predicts how long iPhone will be on the charger when you go to bed at night. After a few weeks, it will learn that you wake up regularly and turn off your iPhone at 8 a.m., for example.

With this prediction of daily behavior, the optimized battery charge prevents your phone from fully charging to 100% as soon as you plug it in. Instead, the iPhone battery will charge around 80%. This means that it will stay at around 80% for most of the night, even if it is connected to the charger all the time. Just before 8 a.m., the iPhone will then finish charging and should reach 100% by the time you remove it from the charger to continue your day.

When active, you can see it on your iPhone’s battery graph. As the example above shows, there is a clear “step” in the gradient of the load graph. When plugged into AC power, iPhone quickly reaches 80% charge. It then waits at 80% for the rest of the night hours; you can see it marked with the dark blue line.

When the iPhone predicts that you will take the phone out of charge, usually the time you wake up, it then completes the charge at 100% (as indicated by the light blue line). This minimizes the time the battery spends at 100% charge, which extends the battery life.

How do I know if the optimized battery charge is active?

The optimized battery charge setting is enabled by default for all iPhone iOS 13 users. However, this does not mean that the feature actually occurs. This is because the phone takes some time to learn your daily routine. It may need several weeks of data before it can reliably guess when you will need the phone in the morning. If your schedule is irregular, he may never learn.

When the iPhone has collected enough data (which is stored only on the device and not shared with Apple), it will tell you that Optimized Battery Charge has been turned on. You will receive a notification on your lock screen like:

OPTIMIZED BATTERY CHARGE ACTIVATED

To reduce battery aging, iPhone learns from your daily charging routine so that it can wait beyond 80% to complete charging until you need to use it.

How do I turn off the optimized battery charge?

Optimized battery charging is designed to extend the life of your iPhone before you need to maintain the battery. However, the optimized battery charge can be annoying if you get up in the middle of the night unexpectedly and need your phone to be fully charged, only to find that it is at 80%.

If you want your phone to charge 100% immediately and accept that the battery can age faster, you can turn off optimized battery charging. To do this, open the Settings app. Tap Battery -> Battery health and turn off the ‘Optimized battery charge’ setting to turn off the feature.

How to accelerate the charge beyond 80%?

When the iPhone is at 80% charge and is waiting to complete the remaining 20%, you can temporarily tell the phone to skip the optimized battery charge schedule and complete the charge to 100%.

 The notification when the optimized battery charge is active.

There will be a notification on your lock screen that will say something like “End of charge expected before 10:00 am”. If you long press this notification, you can press “Charge Now” to make the iPhone resume charging to 100%. The optimized battery charge program will continue the next day.

This is useful if there is a special occasion when you need the phone to fully charge as soon as possible, but want to keep the optimized battery charge feature on for the rest of the year.

FTC: We use automatic affiliate links which generate income. Following.

Competitor slack spike


Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:


Source link

Previous “Does the iPad have a headphone jack? ": Here are the iPad models that have a standard headphone jack
Next Which Mac and iPad models are compatible with Sidecar? [List]