Virtual assistants can get a bit boring after a while, so it’s always good to find new ways to enable their features.
Apple includes a fun way to control your iPhone, using Harry Potter spells.
There are three built-in Siri spells, which you can use directly without configuring anything:
- For turn on the flashlight Say: “Hey Siri, Lumos Maxima” or “Hey Siri, Lumos”
- For turn off the flashlight say, “Hey Siri, Nox” (the problem with this one is that at least my iPhone understands Knox instead of Nox and it doesn’t work)
- For open an app (e.g. TikTok), say: “Hey Siri, Accio TikTok” (note that Accio is pronounced “akio”)
How to create your own spells?
If you’re a true Harry Potter fan, having only three spells might not seem like much. Creating your own using Shortcuts is very easy and fun because you have access to a wide variety of functions on your iPhone through these Shortcuts.
To create your own spell, follow these steps:
- Open the Shortcuts app, tap the “+” sign at the top right
- At the top, put a name, for example “Avada Kedavra”
- You will now see a drop-down menu with action categories and suggestions. What you select is up to you, but you can WhatsApp someone, play an Apple Music playlist, find someone in the Search app, and more.
- Click on the Play triangle in the lower right to try out your new spell. Then close the shortcut by pressing the X.
From now on, you can activate your spell by saying “Hi Siri, Avada Kedavra.”